Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

What does Scale Insect look like?

Scale Insect insecticide pesticide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Posted Image

Scale Insect attached to a Sarracenia leaf.

Easily overlooked, Scale are sap-sucking insects similar to aphids, except that they come with armour plating! Adults are sedentary but nymphs are mobile and left unchecked, scale may quickly spread throughout an entire collection of plants. There are over twenty-five pest species in the UK alone. Scales vary in size from 1-10mm and heavy infestations may retard growth. Outbreaks of sooty mould may be indicative of Scale Insect as some species excrete honeydew on which the mould likes to grow.

Treat with a systemic insectide containing imidacloprid or thiacloprid such as Provado.

#2 Paul

Paul

• 185 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

I see these quite often when I pop down to my parents house. I tend to scrape off the little blighters as it's not a big problem and I never see much harm done but knowing what they are again (as this is a nice little reminder for me), I'll give them a blast of the good stuff :)

#3 Daniel Ody

Daniel Ody

• Client
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Hey!
    My name is Danny I'm 26, based in Swindon, Wiltshire.
    My key interests are performing arts, video games and of course carnivorous plants!
    I am a novice to most carnivorous plants so any growing advice or tips are warmly welcomed.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

I found some on my plants this winter and used scissors to remove them!!! Was almost like looking at something from outer space, they are gone now I hope...

#4 Amar

Amar

• Client
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Celtic music, specifically tin whistling and low whistles, good food, good drink (single malt whiskies), home-enema, going out, psychiatry.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Here too, as with the aphids (greenfly), you should use a systemic insecticide to get rid of these pests. Their babies may still be sucking away..

#5 Blaine Pullin

Blaine Pullin

• 257 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

If it is just a couple, rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab are good.

#6 Daniel Ody

Daniel Ody

• Client
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Hey!
    My name is Danny I'm 26, based in Swindon, Wiltshire.
    My key interests are performing arts, video games and of course carnivorous plants!
    I am a novice to most carnivorous plants so any growing advice or tips are warmly welcomed.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

good news is they have all gone :) obviously scissors worked on killing the blighters off ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scale Insect, insecticide, pesticide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users