Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Cephalotus seeds

Cephalotus Cephalotus follicularis seed

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chloroplast

chloroplast

• 134 posts
  • Interests:Gardening
    Reading
    Hiking

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hello all,

Not sure if this is a common or uncommon occurance but my Cephalotus seeds, in their laziness to germinate, were being overrun by algae and slime that began coating the top layer of milled sphagnum that they were resting on.  Below this thin layer of sphagnum is a 1:1 peat:sand mix approximately 3" deep.

In my mind, I had three options:

1. Do nothing. I decided not to do this because the algae/slime would certainly continue growing and would probably smother any seedlings that germinated.

2. Spray with an algicide (Physan).  I decided not to do this as I was uncertain what the effects would be but I guessed that, if anything, an algicide would not be beneficial to the seeds.

3. Remove the seeds and resurface with new milled sphagnum. This is what I did after consulting with Aidan on live chat (got to love the Chat).  The only things damaged by this arduous procedure were my eyes which were strained to the max trying to resolve the contrast between Ceph seeds and milled sphagnum.

Now.....if only Cephalotus seeds were as easy to cultivate as slime algae.  I could have setup a business years ago!

Just thought I'd share the story.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cephalotus, Cephalotus follicularis, seed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users