Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Purple Pitchers Environment

Sarracenia seed germination

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveMyPlants

ILoveMyPlants

• Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hey everyone i have just took my sarra (purple pitcher) from out of the fridge and i am growing it under a 300w bulb do you think this could work ? i hope so as i dont own a greenhouse most of my plants do ok under it even the non cps im just wondering if this would work as of the dormancy situation so ill tell you how i run my bulb

on sunny days i put my plants outside the only time i use my bulb is in the dull/rainy days where there is no light from the sun and i run the bulb from about say 11am to 8pm and i switch it off im just trying to find out is this ok for my puple pitcher because outside the weather would normally do its thing which would put it into dormancy i would be putting it in the fridge for dormancy if possible or maybe a cold shed any ideas if this will work for me

can this plant miss its first year of dormancy ? any tips would be great

Richard

(spelling in topic Title corrected by BB)

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

First question and assuming the plant is Sarracenia purpurea... What on earth has it been in your fridge for? It is fully hardy in the UK and will be best grown permanently in a sunny spot outside.

#3 ILoveMyPlants

ILoveMyPlants

• Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

oooops sorry yes its a Sarracenia purpurea and they was seeds thats why it was in my fridge sorry i didnt note this i cant put them into the garden i am wondering if it will work with the light ? i put them through strat i meant above ^^ can i skip the first year of dorrmancy also ?

Richard

#4 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Try it and see... but there simply will not be sufficient daylight through a window and lighting plants/seed for 9hrs a day is unlikely to be enough. 16hrs will be closer to what is required.

Yes, you may skip first dormancy.

#5 ILoveMyPlants

ILoveMyPlants

• Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

ok nice and thanks for the info so if i put them in direct sunlight outside when the sun is out then when it is raining and dull i leave the light on for 16-17 hours this should do good ? cause im only using the light when the sun is not out thanks for the info if you could reply to this it would be great thanks

Richard

#6 ada

ada

• Client
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:"green" sarracenia

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Richard,  put them outside and leave them outside! leave them in a sunny spot and keep them in 1cm of water.Cover the pot with some mesh to stop birds disturbing them.
CONSTANTLY moving them will alter the humidity and the light could dry them out too much,s.purpurea will grow better outside,it likes it cooler,really!
ada

#7 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

They will still get more light in the open than you can provide on your windowsill. They will prefer it and grow better for it. The sun isn't the most important factor, daylight is. Purpurea love the garden all year round, they don't care about snow or ice or frost,  even as tiny seedlings. Just put them out, keep them watered and watch them grow.

#8 Stephen Crane

Stephen Crane

• 220 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:02 AM

Nature is a wonderful thing...I grow Leucophylla outside in Cornwall and have a sphagnum bog stuffed to the gunnels with Sarracenia..  put that bulb to good use and read some books on carnivorous plants Richard..At least you are showing that you can care for plants...   :horse: couldnt find the thumbs up so  horse will have to do...

Edited by Stephen Crane, 10 June 2009 - 06:06 AM.

#9 ILoveMyPlants

ILoveMyPlants

• Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

lol thanks stephen the horse is just as good :) yes i am caring for them i am just a bit new hehe i will use the bulbs when there is no sun i dont feel good leaving seeds out in heavy rain and thanks to everyone for all there help :) i am greatfull

i will take your tip and go buy some books and read them thanks for everyones help

p.s my parents have just came back from cornwall lol they said the weather was nice as here i had some thunder and lightening and some heavy rain and hail stones lol

Richard

Edited by ILoveMyPlants, 10 June 2009 - 02:21 PM.

#10 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

Richard, not one person here recommended you grow them under lights. Can I ask why you bother to ask if you then ignore the advice you are given and do it your own way?   :mellow:    Believe it or not, in the wild these seedlings have to deal with rain, heavy or otherwise, they don't all have little umbrellas to protect them. ;)

If you continue with putting them under lights on rainy sunless days and into the sun on hot sunny days they are more likely to die, because they aren't going to be hardened to the sunshine. They will scorch and being small and weak will just shrivel up and die. Either grow them under lights permanently at least until you are happy they can stand rain, (even though they really don't need it) or stick with outside, but if you want healthy plants don't chop and change their conditions.

#11 chloroplast

chloroplast

• 134 posts
  • Interests:Gardening
    Reading
    Hiking

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

Richard,

I live in Massachusetts (MA), USA, which is one of the places where S. purpurea is native.

I can tell you that these plants are tough and even seedlings are best grown outdoors, especially in the summer!

In MA during summer, we get lots of sun, and our fair share of thunderstorms with lots of rain and wind.  In the winter, temperatures can get as low as --15 F, and there are places 100 miles further north from me (where S. purpurea also live) that get --40 F (without wind-chill !).

The moral of the story is....these are outdoor plants, meant to be grown outdoors.  In my opinion, if someone doesn't have outdoor space to grow Sarracenia, they shouldn't grow them at all because the plants will never reach their full potential, size and color wise.

Ken

#12 Brian Barnes

Brian Barnes

• 618 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Richard,

Here's a perfect example for you...

The pictured 'in situ' specimen ( S. purpurea venosa var. burkeii  Posted Image ), resides in Baldwin Co., Alabama and is growing in full, direct unfiltered sun with exposure to temps below freezing often during winter. In other words...For God's sake man, keep them outside!!  Posted Image

(dead image link deleted)

Happy Growing,

Brian.

#13 ILoveMyPlants

ILoveMyPlants

• Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

thanks alot chloroplast i have the space i just need protection from my animals im going to buy a small green house thing i hope it will be ok in there

thanks brian also for your lovely picture your plants look great there and your advise i shall keep them outside here when i get the mini greenhouse

i'm glad to see this thread getting so much attention all info is very helpful im sure not just to me but for alot of people

Thank you everyone eles for your info also it was much wanted and great info

i also hope the seedlings will be ok inside of a walk in greenhouse ?

Richard

#14 chloroplast

chloroplast

• 134 posts
  • Interests:Gardening
    Reading
    Hiking

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

Richard,

You're welcome. We all started off the same way you are: as beginners.....  and in many ways, most of us are still beginners in one respect or another.

You don't need a greenhouse to grow them outdoors, if that's what you're waiting for.  In fact, unless you're familiar with greenhouse horticulture, the pitchers can become "soft" when grown that way and will flop over if/when placed outside.  You also have to watch out for overheating in the summer: don't forget the "greenhouse effect" (look it up if you don't know what this is).  Large greenhouses have cooling fans to help with this, but if you put them in a little plastic bubble, they might cook on a hot day in full sun.

Bottom line, for most people, Sarracenia do best if placed in the plain-and-simple outdoors.

Ken

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sarracenia, seed, germination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users