Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Germination

Dionaea Drosera germination

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts
  • Interests:pc hardware, building, overclocking and games, nitro buggys, lizards, spiders, bacon, coffee, music and cycling i'm also trying my hand at being a parent but am much better at all these other things.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

can anybody tell me the fastest way to germinate seeds.

these are the traps i have and they got off to a bad start mostly due to my been lazy and watering them from the bottom, i got a load of salts build up on top of peat as water evaporated there, i've since bought spagnum moss and put them in this and i think they will be ok if they manage to grow some roots back?

(Dead photo link deleted)

sorry couldnt wait, i just sat seeds on top of the live moss and i had no spagnum peat so used coco peat mixed 50 50 with dried spagnum moss, i am going to get some spagnum peat but the shop is quite a drive away. hers a pic of my empty pots. lol

and just so i can post a pic of some actual flowers here's our houseplants that i just repotted and put outside for the summer.

Posted Image

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

What are the seeds? I can see that some of them are various Drosera, but the best way to germinate depends upon what they are and where they come from. D. filiformis for example will germinate best after a period of cold stratification - i.e. the seed needs to think it has been through a winter before it germinates.

Live Sphagnum is perhaps less than ideal as a medium for seed sowing. It will soon begin to grow and may overwhelm seedlings.

#3 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts
  • Interests:pc hardware, building, overclocking and games, nitro buggys, lizards, spiders, bacon, coffee, music and cycling i'm also trying my hand at being a parent but am much better at all these other things.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

well i have :-   :dribble:

D. muscipula
Drosera filiformis
Drosera capensis
drosera intermedia
Drosera spatulata

i didnt use that many seeds so if i have to do them again i have plenty, i put some seeds in the same stuff a couple of weeks ago and they're ok, the spagnum that has grown out of the pot has just shrivled up and died. i'll see how it goes and do some more when i get spagnum peat.

#4 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

Sunshine and warmth is the simple answer to germination, other than for D. filiformis as noted above.

D. muscipula seed is best sown as soon as it falls off the plant (which would be last August for "fresh" seed) and so don't be surprised if you see poor or no germination.

#5 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

Glad to see the seed arrived safely :)

Intermedia will probably germinate best after stratification as well as filiformis. Pop the pots with the seed in into a fridge for at least four weeks if you are able, then just stand them in rain water and give them as much sun as you can.

The others don't really need stratifying and can just go straight into the sunshine. Germination should be around 4-6 weeks.

Fly traps are supposed to be watered from the bottom. They should stand in around half an inch of rainwater. The water should be allowed to evaporate over a few days then the tray refilled. If salts are building up on the surface of the peat, that would suggest you are not using pure rainwater or something is wrong with the peat they are in. Coco peat isn't a good medium to choose, sometimes it contains high levels of salts that aren't good for the plants. If you were using coco peat for your vfts that could have been your problem.

#6 peace

peace

• Client
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

hi !!!!
your houseplants are:
crassula arborescens for the first
"christ's thorn" or euphorbia milii for the second (grow everywhere in south florida)

good luck for your seedlings !!!!!  :)

#7 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

yeh it's not distilled water it's tap water and i think this is where 'salts' come from. the house plants have been in coco since i got them a couple of years ago which is ok as long as i flush them through. i put the seeds on the live spagnum moss because i thought it would be easy to tease them off there and put in seperate pots when they pop. it will stop coco drying from top too i hope.  what is the best ph for the water for these? . i thought the seeds would have been kept in the fridge sheila? i've put the ones i havnt used in mine so i will just take any from there that dont grow and plant them in a month.

thx  :)

#8 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

If seed came from Sheila, it will have been properly stored while it was in her possession.

Unless you are located in Cornwall or Scotland, tap water will prove lethal to your plants in time. Rain water, distilled, de-ionised or reverse-osmosis purified water is required. pH is not the problem, hardness is.

#9 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

The seeds have been kept in the fridge, but stratification is damp cold whereas I've kept them dry. I was a bit wary of keeping Dionaea seed for more than about three months but had good feedback last spring for the seed I had in the bank from the previous growing season, so it does seem that if it's properly stored in an airtight container in the fridge it is viable for longer.

As Aidan says it is the chemicals and lime in the water that does the damage. You can buy R.O water from shops that sell aquarium fish for about 50p a gallon usually. A rainwater butt is best though it doesn't contain any of the chemicals and it's free.

#10 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

there's a lot of different info concerning which water to use and some grow guides recommend letting tap stand for 2 days to remove chlorine, to condition water for fish tanks u can filter it through activated carbon to remove some of tds. i'm not happy to be reliant on the pet shop for ro water for the rest of my cp growing life so i'm going to carry on looking into diff methods of cleaning up the tap water. if it comes to it i'll buy an ro filter. another article i read said tds upto 0.8 were ok for most cp plants! i've only had a cp once before and the only time i had a problem was when i accidently fed it. it didnt run into real trouble until i lost interest!

cheers sheila can i do the 'stratification' in tissue, can i germinate the seeds on tissue also? i assume they dont need light to germinate just heat and water?

#11 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

A TDS value of 50ppm or lower is generally recommended as being ideal and RO is the only safe method of using tapwater.

#12 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

You can stratify the seed in tissue, although Drosera seed could be difficult to remove once stratification is complete. I definitely wouldn't allow the seed to germinate on it. Once the roots grow into the tissue it is impossible to remove them without damaging the seedlings and they would be unlikely to survive. I would think if you can't put pots in the fridge, then an alternative idea might be to put some damp moss peat onto the centre of a square of foil, mix the seeds into the peat and fold it all up inside the foil. Pop it into a tupperware container and leave it in the fridge for four weeks. Open it up about once a week to check it and let some air in to stop the seed going mouldy. After four weeks just spread the peat onto prepared pots and put them into a sunny spot.

I doubt if the seeds will germinate without light. They need light even more than heat. Most CPs won't start to grow until the day length is around 14 hours of light. If you did manage to get them to germinate without light I would have thought they would be weak and spindly at best and have little or no colour.

It is really important to get the water quality right. I wouldn't entertain water from the tap or mineral water at all. Your plants may last for some time, but it will eventually kill them. Leaving the water to stand before using it is fine if you are in a very soft water area like Cornwall or some parts of Scotland. Invest in an RO system or better still a water butt. It doesn't have to be a purpose built water butt, which can be expensive, you can usually find people selling large empty barrels that have been cleaned out for around £15.

#13 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

thanks, i got some ro water so im just spraying that on them once a day till it runs off to get the tap water out.

here's a pic, a new traps come out of this so it must be going right way.  =)

Posted Image

#14 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

I'm not sure if it is the flash of the camera but the vft doesn't look a very strong green. How much light is it getting?

#15 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

i have them on the windowsill during the day then under a light till about 1am then when i go to bed i put them back on the window for the sunrise, it's a south facing window. i'm thinking of building a display box for the plants though out of our vivarium. i reckon the lizard would be much happier in a glass tank, he's not getting any sunlight which cant be good for his skin. i got him given because a mates mate was bored with him. u might just see our spider above the lizard who's loves it in his new glass tank, when the sun comes up he goes mad. there's some too scared to come in here! anyhow the trap seeds that i bought off ebay are popping up now, i hope they should be a lot better on the live moss than they were in coco. if any body has grown any of these :-

D.muscipula
Drosera filiformis
Drosera capensis
drosera intermedia
Drosera spatulata

i would love if u could add pics to the thread.

Posted Image

#16 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

View Postpeace, on 22 April 2010 - 08:42 PM, said:

hi !!!!
your houseplants are:
crassula arborescens for the first
"christ's thorn" or euphorbia milii for the second (grow everywhere in south florida)

good luck for your seedlings !!!!!  :)

peace  :thumbsup:  how big do the thorny one's grow?

#17 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

just buying the stuff for my new display box and have found a little video which may interest.

http://www.electroni...oniser_bulb.htm

i'm not sure where i'm going to buy these from yet, just searching the net trying to get us some free postage.

#18 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

Ordinary compact fluourescent bulbs are fine, somewhat less expensive and readily available.

#19 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

thanks aiden i've decided against the 'ionising' bulbs because customer reviews say they can have a very short life, i checked different companys including the one in the link but found the same story, people who actually use the things seem to report them going after 3 to 6 months. i've found some at my green lighting company for 5.72 colour 6400k output 1500 lumins. this is just a normal bulb so should last a very long time, i wonder if i can get 2 in there or if it will be too hot? i was thinking of using old computer fans powered by old mains adaptors in there. i found a similar product on line but think i can do better myself :thumbsup:

http://www.strawberr...m-lighting.html

#20 pipandy

pipandy

• 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:11 PM

the bulbs came straight away so i cracked on for the sake of the lizard i feel really bad that he's been in a box all his life.

i need a hacksaw blade before i can cut hole in back for fan but it's mostly done. this uses 60w altogether (the same as 4 energy saver lightbulbs) if i've done my research right these are the type of bulb u want for best plant growth. some say u need 10,000 lumins before light is useful for plant growth (this is 3070) i wouldnt want to use that much electricity because it's too expensive. anyway i just hope i can grow some nice plants.

Posted Image

this is the one thats just popped up.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dionaea, Drosera, germination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users