Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hello,

I grow a Pleione orchid I swapped with another forum member. I think it´s already three years ago I received the bulbils. This spring the first flower has grown from the biggest bulb (~3cm in diametre). It lasted approx. 2 weeks. I guess if there wouldn´t have been such very warm weeks at the end of April/beginning of May the flower would have lasted longer.

This hybrid is named Pleione x Stromboli 'Fireball' and a cross made of P. pleionoides and P. bulbocodioides. The colours of the flower really remind on a lava explosion of the volcano Stromboli in the Mediterranean Sea. :D  

Posted Image

I first had to shower "her" to clean "her" from loads of pollen the wind blew in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some nice, red streaks in the depth of the gorge.

Posted Image

You see orchids have a lot more than just one chocolate side! :)

I consider to obtain some more Pleione bulbils in autumn. They are really very nice!

Cheers

Andreas

#2 Blaine Pullin

Blaine Pullin

• 258 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:33 AM

Beautiful colors Andreas.  I think this is the first I've seen this species.  Very striking.   :thumbsup:

#3 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hi Blaine,

thank you. I grow two Masdevallia species since Wednesday. One is the

M. ignea

Ive painted two months ago.

The other one is M. nidifica. I hope to have flowers next year. I think I will watercolour M. nidifica as well before. :D

Kind regards

Andreas

#4 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hello,

my Masdevallia nidifica surprised me with a flower - just only a single one. But as a start I don´t complain. ;)

It´s a small flower of only 1 cm in diametre - if you don´t include the extended tips of the petals. I have taken the pics in back light which has shone through the tissue of the flower, so the colours are a little different from reflected light. ;) But these results are what you are actually used to see from me anyway! :lol:

Posted Image

Wanna have a closer view?

Posted Image

And a side view:

Posted Image

I like it. I hope you, too!

Cheers!

Andreas

#5 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Digging in the dirt, find some places I´ve got hurt... :D ...digging in the past, find some places I got pleased, open up old posts that cheered me up...hahaha...how funny!

To continue a story of success! ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two flowers this year! Three next year?

Posted Image

And finally a lot more flowers of Masdevallia nidifica this year!! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks 4 watching!

Cheers!

Andreas

#6 gardenofeden

gardenofeden

• Client
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

how do you grow Pleione? I never succeed.... :(

#7 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

Hello Stephen,

it´s my only Pleione (so far) and I guess it´s one of the easiest Pleiones. The bulbs are stored dry in a plastic bag in the fridge over winter at about 2 - 4°C. They are placed down into the vegetable case a week before growing season starts. Then I put the bulbs into a soil mix of dried lfs, perlite and lava rock pieces - the bulbs are only halfly buried. The soil is only damp and quickly dries out at the beginning of season. I only occasionally mist the bulbs until the surface of the soil is moist. They are planted at the end of February. Within four weeks you should spot growth - adult bulbs send out the flower stalks now. I have read only when the flower bud bends down to the horizontal you should water until the soil is completely moist. Else flower buds can be aborted and turn into leaves or so. It is important they have a cool and shady place with a lot of ventilation. But shady means actually bright shade. I only water again when the soil has dried to slight moisture. Maybe it´s advantageous I use such an airy and coarse soil mix.
Flowering time is usually over in (the end of) May. Then leaves grow and last until end of October/November. At the end of October I stop watering and let the soil dry out. Leaves wilt and when they have all fallen down I dig the bulbs out of the soil and put them without any soil into the plastic bag - ready for winter rest in the fridge.

It´s not visible on my photos but perhaps worth to be mentioned. I use (12 cm in diametre) lattice pots of plastic - such which are offered for pond plants.

I hope my information is somewhat helpful. I´m no expert in growing Pleione. But I intend to purchase more - particularly species instead of hybrids. Let´s see if it works... :-)

Best regards

Andreas

Oh and btw: I fertilise with a special orchid fertiliser once weekly (depending on how often watering is necessary).

Edited by Andreas, 12 May 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#8 dimitar

dimitar

• Banned
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Very nice Masdie, Andreas! :)

#9 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

All old pictures were made with an analogue camera.

Here are some pictures of Pleione x "Stromboli 'Fireball'" (P. pleionoides x bulbocodioides) made with a digital camera. And I think the Panasonic TZ31 produces much better pictures! ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

May my old analogue camera RUST in peace.... *hrhrhr*

Andreas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pleione, Pleione x Stromboli Fireball, Pleione pleionoides, Pleione bulbocodioides, Masdevallia, Masdevallia nidifica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users