Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Finally...one of the nicest Stapeliads in flower!

Huernia quinta Stapeliad Strydam Tunnel South Africa

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hello,

tonight I´m so happy! :yahoo: I am PRIVILIGED to see a flower of Huernia quinta 'Strydam Tunnel' (in German: Strydamm ^^ ) on my own balcony!!!! If I consider how rarely these plants do me such a favour! ;)

Posted Image

It´s the second day the flower bud has opened. However the petals haven´t completely unfolded yet! <_< I wonder if this is because the sun reaches my Ascleps only late in the afternoon. I have moved the pot to a new place where the sun hits it at about 12:30 pm.

I have made pictures before it´s too late, ya know?! These flowers don´t last for long....unfortunately!

Posted Image

An image made with flash light.

The leaves have actually developed countless rudiments of flower buds but only this single bud finally resulted in a flower. *sigh* Our climate is way too instable for those plants I assume and I´d do better with a heated and perhaps even illuminated greenhouse. If I could only afford that....

Provided I´ll have a completely open flower later this day (tomorrow in UK ;-) ) I´ll add a few more images (before my stepfather demands his digital camera back *hrhrhr* ).

Anyway I hope you already love this incomplete flower.

Now something more serious!

I have fought badly to keep my plant collection and to care properly for my plants over the years since I have become unable to work. Slowly I have to realise that it is impossible to afford all these plants anymore! And worse: I continuously lose plants - carnivores and particularly Lithops which I fell in love with so much! You may say this is normal, but I lose a bit more than the normal amount. My conditions just aren´t appropriate enough. It´s inexpressively hard for me to decide stop growing plants in the long run! Meaning I will stop purchasing new plants, stop swapping, stop propagating and sowing and I will eventually decrease the number of plants continually! It´s very sad for me but inevitable.

I guess Aidan dislikes reading I won´t buy anymore plants. But what can I do? I´d need to win the jackpot of a lottery.... We never know and maybe there´ll be better times somewhere in the future. I hope your business will run to your best, Aidan. :good: All the time I was dreaming to be able to visit your Open Day one day. It wasn´t possible for me.

Oh, by the way, Stephen: I have noticed a flower bud on the Huernia zebrina you sent me! :dirol:   Not sure though if it will end in a flower because weather will turn autumn-like again next week. It´s a very nice specimen...still embarrassed about my unfelicitous phrasing about the spider mites...ahem... :blush: I hope you aren´t mad at me anymore. ;o)

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by Andreas, 06 September 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostAndreas, on 06 September 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

I guess Aidan dislikes reading I won´t buy anymore plants. But what can I do? I´d need to win the jackpot of a lottery.... We never know and maybe there´ll be better times somewhere in the future. I hope your business will run to your best, Aidan. :good: All the time I was dreaming to be able to visit your Open Day one day. It wasn´t possible for me.

I have no doubt that you will always grow plants Andreas. :yes4:

#3 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hahaha...yeeessss, it´s certainly 'impossible' to part from plants if you are a passionate grower! :i-m_so_happy:

Today the petals unfolded a little more but I have the bad feeling the flower already starts to wilt again... :sad:

Posted Image

Let´s take a look as close as possible:

Posted Image

Uah, already slightly pixelated! ;-)

Greetings

Andreas

#4 Tom499

Tom499

• Client
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants
    Orchids
    Hockey

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sure the most important question: How does it smell?

#5 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi Tom,

not so nasty! You need to get quite close to the flower to detect the smell. It smells a bit like an organic waste collection bin on a warm summer day (when you open its lid). :lol: Not a very nice smell though but more bearable than a rotting animal carcass... *lol*

#6 Tom499

Tom499

• Client
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants
    Orchids
    Hockey

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for your reply Andreas,

That is interesting, I found a few other species have a similiar, less potent smell. Some I would describe as being a bit like crush olive paste, which I quite like! ^_^

#7 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Last but not least:

Posted Image

Huernia zebrina.

Thank you, Stephen! :yahoo:

#8 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

An update - especially for Aidan! =O)

Posted Image

The second flower of Huernia zebrina. A better photo this time. ;)

Posted Image

Speaking to Tom499: The smell of this carrion flower you surely won´t quite like! ^_^

Anyway I am happy to see this flower alive on my own plant! You need to come as close as approx. 10 cm to the flower to detect its smell but for sure it´s not pleasant! Thankfully Orbea variegata only smells at daytime when it´s comparatively warm and bright! It´s thriving in my sleeping room and I find it very nice of this flower not to smell during the night! :lol:

Posted Image

A delicious sight in back light!

Posted Image

It has lasted about two weeks. A second one is developing at the moment.

One of the last in flower this year is Ceropegia rupicola:

Posted Image

Unfortunately the flowers don´t open muchly. They are nicely veined inside!

Posted Image

Not the best pictures as the light was awful the day I photographed the flowers. At least a digital camera can cope much better with difficult light situations than an analogue camera. My only problem is I have to borrow this digital camera.

Posted Image

The whole plant where you hardly find the flowers. Its leaves are monstrous for a Ceropegia!! And surprisingly it´s a very THIRSTY succulent plant!!

Posted Image

The very first flower that opened - hiding in the thicket. The flowers are very glossy as you can see making them a challenging photo object.

Bye bye.

Andreas

#9 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

H. zebrina is an obscene looking thing... :sarcastic_hand:

#10 Amar

Amar

• Client
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Celtic music, specifically tin whistling and low whistles, good food, good drink (single malt whiskies), home-enema, going out, psychiatry.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yes, also known as the black man's A.....le-plant. :grin:

#11 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

Ah... secretly you harbour an interest in proctology. :focus:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Huernia quinta, Stapeliad, Strydam Tunnel, South Africa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users