Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Byblis gigantea

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

I bought this plant from Greg Allen at the  CPS end of season meeting at Winterbourne Gardens. i half expected it to just curl up and die on me as the seedlings I have managed to germinate have all done. I just put it on the window sill with a day light power saving bulb just above it and hoped for the best. In the last few weeks it has started to flower for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Lovely. I kept one for a couple of years and was very disappointed when it did the curl-up-and-die act for no obvious reason.

#3 Loakesy

Loakesy

Advanced Member

• Client
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Forensic Science, Carnivorous Plants

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Very nice!!

Another one of those plants that I'd love to try, but am afraid of killing it off before I get a chance to appreciate it!

#4 Greg Allan

Greg Allan

• 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hi Sheila- that looks great. Mine look awful at the moment I the greenhouse! I can't recall whether you got two plants. If not, i may have a flower open on one of last year's strAggly stems that I have yet to prune. If so, would you like me to send you some pollen? Also, have you spotted any Setocoris on your plant?

#5 gardenofeden

gardenofeden

• Client
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I got two off Greg last year at Mike's open day.  They seem to be doing well in the greenhouse 5°C minimum, with a bit of supplementary lighting.  I managed to cross pollinate and get some seeds too!

#6 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

hmmm looks like my reply yesterday disappeared.,

I have tried growing them from seed with no success in keeping the seedlings growing past the first inch and I bought a little one via the forum that was eaten by slugs, so I hope this one being of flowering size will last a little longer. I have got it through one winter which is a relief.

Stephen, I got your Byblis gigantea seeds yesterday morning along with all the others thankyou,  Your GA3 is on the way back to you.

Greg I have kept mine indoors all winter on the window sill under a power saving daylight bulb. I did buy two, but the other one had been slug bashed when I bought it and just never really recovered, it died before i could get the light for it, so now i only have the one and would love some pollen if you have it. I haven't seen any Setocoris on it recently, There were several, but they probably died off due to a lack of food. I hope there will be some dormant eggs somewhere. So when this has finished flowering, you recommend pruning the stem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users