Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Drosera slackii, cultivation and propagation query

Drosera Drosera slackii

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jonny

Jonny

• 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

My specimen plant of this unusual sundew is more exacting in its requirements than 'ordinary' S. African species, although it does not exhibit as marked a dormancy period as for example, D. hilaris.
I purchased a plant about two years ago and this has, at its best, shown remarkable characteristics such that one would wonder if it is, in fact, a naturally fertile triploid mutation or something similar.
Noting notwithstanding, that the rosetted species generally, (at least those examples in my care) show a tendency towards late season peak condition and/or winter growth, I am wondering if D. slackii requires different conditions for optimum growth than, say D. venusta?
Does anyone know whether, like D. regia, the plant is non-self-fertile?
With thanks for your experience,
Jon

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I grew the plant quite successfully for a number of years with no special treatment in unheated greenhouse conditions... until a particularly cold winter killed it off.

I've asked around but have been unable to come up with any answers for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drosera, Drosera slackii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users