Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Mangy! The Devilīs Claw - such a nasty beast....

Devilīs claw Ibicella lutea

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

Hello again,

is anyone of you growing Ibicella lutea? For me this year it´s the first time. And I can also assure you it´ll remain the last time! :laugh2: When I saw pictures of the flowers of Ibicella lutea I loved them so much I wanted to grow this plant, too. However someone at a German board told me the smell of the slime all parts of the plant is coverd with shall smell "mangy" (if I may say so in English). I wonder if the author was thinking on a mangy dog or a mangy billy goat. Honestly I couldn´t imagine how "mangy" really should smell. :-/ Now I KNOW! I´ve sown seeds into a 5 litre clay pot - before sowing I soaked the seeds 24 hrs in GA3. The seeds began to germinate already after three days!

I was told in a comparatively small pot the plant wouldn´t become very big - approx. 50 cm in diametre. Outdoors the plant would reach up to a meter in diameter. Well....the biggest plant on my balcony has also become a monster of a whole meter in diameter! :o It´s a little too big for my small balcony... <_< Every time I have to step onto the balcony I touch the leaves and slime sticks to my trousers. The smell of this slime is rather disgusting! :bad:

Posted Image

There are three plants on the photo. The main plant has overgrown the others and one of the smaller bent down to the ground - you see the plant in the background already starts to bend down. I have finally cut that plant. ONE plant in a pot is enough! But you don´t know how many seeds will germinate so I put three seeds into the pot. All eventually germinated and resulted into plants.

The photos are from July if I´m not wrong. I sowed around 20th May. They grow incredibly fast when it´s sunny and warm!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The flowers are really beautiful but I won´t ever grow this plant in a container on the balcony anymore! Thankfully the stench is not intense but clearly noticeable if you get closer to the plant. The flowers don´t smell remarkably btw. I have watched bumblebees excitedly visit the flowers with resulting in pollination on some flowers. Also the fruits develop rapidly.They can reach a length of 15 cm. :blink: I think I will keep one as a souvenir! ^^

Well....I´m planning to stop watering soon...oh btw...this greedy herb seriously swallows a whole litre of water every day (unless it´s a rainy day anyway)! I think I have enough of this nasty beast! *LOL* ;)

Thanks for your attention. :)

Andreas

Edited by Andreas, 29 August 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

A spectacular flower, even if it does stink! :sarcastic:

#3 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hey, TEN people recommend this thread at Facebook! :biggrin: Very interesting!

Yeah, Aidan, if you put your nose into the opening of the flower you detect a weak sweet scent - not as nice as ordinary flowers scent though. But the worst is all the outer surfaces of the flower parts are covered with the disgusting drops of ugly smelling slime!

I was told Proboscidea species don´t stink. :unsure: So, I´m thinking on sowing seeds of Proboscidea next spring.

Greetings

Andreas

#4 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

I love Ibicella, one of my favourites, but I have always grown them outside. I  kept the biggest seed pod from the first one I grew after getting the seed out. I had to split it down the middle to get all the seed, but I tied it all back together with dark cotton afterwards and it can't be seen where it has been broken. It makes a lovely ornament. I have kept it in a cabinet for about ten years now.

If you get any seed from this one, give me a shout. I haven't had any fresh ibicella in the seed bank for a couple of years now.

#5 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Oh, I bet you can have plenty of seed! :grin: I will have six or seven seed pods!

Sheila said:

I love Ibicella, one of my favourites, but I have always grown them outside.

Yes and you´ve surely had the sniffles all Ibicella season (or you didn´t dare to move closer to them then ten meters)! ;) *ggg*

Andy

#6 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

I have no sense of smell, so I don't notice it. I have never even smelled the cat pee aroma of flava flowers :no2:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Devilīs claw, Ibicella lutea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users