Welcome to insektenfang plants ip-forum and ip Web Shop!

ip-forum is a friendly, positive environment where members may help each other and exchange ideas, tips, information and techniques relating to the carnivorous plants.

Register today and join a worldwide community of carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts.

Already an ip-forum member?

Sign-in with your user name and password to participate and access member-only areas.

Treating Drosophyllum seedlings

Drosophyllum lusitanicum seedlings watering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Good morning!

This year is the first time I grow the Portuguese dewy pine. My first specimen unfortunately died within five weeks! :sad: Hard to imagine for me I overwatered it but it did rot!

Then I ordered two new plants and Thomas Carow recommended me to put the pots into deep saucers with moist peat. To be precisely to sink the pots a few cm into moist peat. I should only keep the peat moist and else don´t water - particularly not from above! And I have to say this works fantastically so far. Next time my stepfather will show up I may have the chance to make some pictures with his digital camera. The plants look fine and they kindly provided me with plenty of seeds. Well, I have sown a dozen of seeds - dispersed over two pots. Six seeds germinated. I have also treated them with gibberillic acid although I was told it wouldn´t be necessary.

I have heard/read countless reports not only about difficulties keeping adult plants but also to raise the seedlings. Most growers agree that seedlings of an age between three and four months cause a lot of headache! Many die without visible reasons they write. Still the trickiest thing surely is watering! Seedlings could take more water resp. moister soil it is said.

My seedlings are now only two months old! And I have just lost the first seedling due to rotting of the "stem"! :blink: Believe me the upper part of the soil in my pots is in the meantime completely DRY!

I wonder how fast can the roots of Drosophyllum seedlings grow down to the bottom of the pot. The question is can I already water them like my adult plants? Using the 'moist peat tray method'? There are three seedlings of approx. 7 to 8 cm in height (length of the leaves) in one pot and two in the other. I would be alright if at least ONE would survive in each pot! ;)

Greetings

Andreas

#2 Aidan

Aidan

top banana

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Drosophyllum is one of those plants that I have never had any great success in growing. Often losing seedlings as is common, but also well established larger plants.

It has been some years since my last attempt and perhaps I should give it another try...

#3 Sheila

Sheila

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Drosophyllum seedlings need very good ventilation or they die of damp off disease. Fresh air is vital to them succeeding.  I grow them  outside to start with or close to the open door of the greenhouse. Once they get to about four inches tall they are usually ok if you get the watering right.

I used to water mine once or twice  a week in summer and maybe only  once every three of four weeks in the winter. The seedlings will put down long roots that travel down the side of the pot searching for water. Within days of sprouting they will have fine roots down to the bottom of the pot.  Even so the longest i have kept one alive was about four years.

#4 Andreas

Andreas

• Client
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

SHEILAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. :yes:

That´s what I needed to know: Fine roots reach the bottom of the pot within days after sprouting! Excellent. That means I can water my seedlings already through the same method like my adult plants.

From the germination on the Droso seedlings stand on the balcony where is excellent air circulation and ventilation. Nevertheless the number of seedlings have decreased from six to three now! However as one plant per pot is best I´d be happy if two seedlings will maintain - one in each pot! ;)

Best regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas, 09 September 2014 - 09:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drosophyllum lusitanicum, seedlings, watering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users